Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Growing up, I’d always be pumped whenever my mom would let me get box braids or cornrows. She’d leave them in for as long as possible, especially during the summer, because it was cheaper than going to the salon every two or three weeks.
My long-hair-don’t-care days were always fun (especially if I had beads at the end!), but I’d be worried about what to do with my hair after the plaits came out.
It’d be too fragile for heat styling or a fresh relaxer, and I didn’t want to get in the habit of back-to-back braid installation.
Oh, how I wish that I had these YouTube tutorials back then. It’s no secret that a good Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles is a foolproof way to slay — and these protective styles ahead can also hold you over until the next time you’re ready for a new sew-in or braids. See them, ahead.
How To Do Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
I’ve already discussed my deep love of Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles and their versatility, but the one thing that could make them even better?
Adding a braid (or lots of braids). So instead of just rounding up a bunch of beautiful braided ponies (I could do that all day), I did you a solid and included mini tutorials for how to recreate each look.
Go ahead—take a minute to grab your hair elastics and brushes, then get back to scrolling through the below 12 styles so you can start wearing them yourself.
- Long, Braided Pony: First, pull your hair into the highest ponytail possible, using a styling gel and fine-tooth comb to slick it back. Then, separate the tail into three strands and begin tightly braiding down to the very ends. Add extensions for more length if you like it super long.
- French Pull-Through Braid: Alright—this pull-through ponytail’s tutorial is easier to watch than it is to explain, but I promise that’s it’s not actually that hard. You’re essentially just making a line of seven half-up ponytails, one right below the other, and threading each tail through the middle of each ponytail directly above it. But as long as you’ve got a bunch of hair elastics and patience, you can master this look at home.
- Ladder-Braided Ponytail: Tie your hair into a low ponytail. Then, take a half-inch section of hair from the right side and wrap it around the base of your ponytail, threading the tail through the loop to knot it in place. Then, add another section of hair to the tail (kind of like when you French braid), and wrap it around the ponytail again, before threading it through and knotting it. Repeat the loop-and-pull process until you have a five-inch wrap with knots down the right side, then tie it off with an elastic. Confused?
- Multi-Braided Ponytail: Slick back your hair into an ultra-high ponytail, securing with a sturdy elastic. Then, separate the tail into four sections (or more, depending on how thick you want each individual braid to be) and braid each subsection down to the very end, tying them off with elastics. Then, take one of the braids and wrap it around the base of the ponytail, pinning in place.
- Scarf-Tied Infinity Braid: Pull your hair back into a low ponytail, securing with a clear elastic (you’ll be cutting the elastic off later, so don’t get too attached to it). Split your ponytail into two sections, then take a sliver of hair from the left half and cross it over to join the right half of hair. Then, take a sliver of hair from the right side, and cross it over to join the left side. Continue this pattern—yeah, it’ll take a hot second—until you reach the halfway point in your ponytail, then secure it with a hair tie. Snip the clear elastic from the base of your ponytail so your fishtail falls naturally, then, grab a scarf and knot it around the bottom elastic. Easy? JK.
- Pancaked Braided Pony: French-braid your hair down the middle of your head to the nape of your neck. Secure the braid with an elastic, then gather all of your remaining hair and tie it together in a low pony. Pick up the tail of the braid, and fishtail-braid it (yeah, we’re switchin’ it up on you) to the ends, tying off with an elastic. Then, gently tug and massage the edges of your French braid to pull it out and flatten it—i.e. pancake it.
- Braided Bubble Ponytail: Start by cornrowing your hair up toward the crown of your head, before gathering all of your hair into a high ponytail. Use an elastic or gold wire to section the tail into smaller segments for a bubble-pony effect. Finish by accessorizing the braids with cuffs and rings.
- Side-Braided Ponytail: Dutch braid a two- to three-inch section of hair from your hairline to the ends, securing it with an elastic. Then, use your fingers to gently tug on the braid and pull it part for a loose, messy look. Gather all of your hair into a mid-level ponytail, tie it off with an elastic, then wrap a small piece of hair around the base and tuck it in with a pin.
- High Pony Fishtail: Tie your hair in a pony at the crown of your head. Take a strip of hair, wrap it around the base (are you sensing a theme here?), and pin it in place. Then separate the ponytail into two sections fishtail-braid it all the way down to the bottom. Secure with a tiny clear elastic.
- Braided Low Ponytail: Separate your hair hair into four sections, using a rat-tail comb for sharpness, then Dutch braid each section down to the base of the neck. Stick a bobby pin through them to get them from unraveling while you work. Gather the tails of all the braids into a low ponytail and secure with a decorative hair tie.
- Sleek Pony With Accent Braids: What you can see in this photo is one cornrow braid that wraps around the base of a ponytail. What you can’t see? The identical cornrow braid above her other temple. The tails of both braids cross in the back, then wrap around the ponytail. Wanna try it for yourself? Watch and learn.
- French-Braided Ponytail: For this soft and easy style, French braid your hair to the middle of your head and tie the braid off with an elastic. Then scoop your hair into a ponytail and secure it with another elastic, before wrapping and tucking a tiny piece of hair around the base of the pony.
How Long do Braided Ponytails Last?
Turn around time is about 1 hr and a half long to finish. It’s a protective style, so no breakage should come from this style of the braid at all.
Anyone can wear this style if you love braids. It’s versatile, and it should last you about a month’s time all depending on how you take care of it!
How Many Packs of Hair do You Need For a Braided Ponytail?
3 packs of 100% kanekalon hair used. Style Lasts 3-4 weeks. Versatility: Can be worn in a ponytail or a bun.
How Long Can You Keep in a Braided Ponytail?
Try to keep your braids in for no longer than 8 weeks at a time for optimal scalp and hair health. Leave them in for at least a week between installation so that your scalp has the opportunity to breathe.
30 BEST BRAIDED PONYTAIL BLACK HAIRSTYLES
Do you have black hair and worry your braids won’t be visible? The braided ponytail is a way of making your simple hair look textured and beautiful.
We have combined 30 awesome braided ponytail hairstyles for black hair that can be made for any occasion – from everyday school life to even a wedding, and what could possibly be more mesmerizing than ponytail hairstyles? Let us help you master the art of making the perfect ponytail braids.
Elegant Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
You can create so many amazing designs by using braids in different thicknesses. Here we have a braided ponytail that features chunky braids with thin ones in-between.
The combination creates a unique and stylish pattern. This is a beautiful hairstyle that would look stunning on anyone.
Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles With Weave
Our next idea is a very high ponytail that features a trendy but subtle pattern and braid cuffs. We love the small pattern that has been designed at the back because it is stylish but is not too over the top.
It is perfect for someone who wants a pattern without being too bold. You can recreate a similar style or choose the ponytail without the pattern or braid cuffs.
Trendy Ponytails With Chunky Braids
It is not just beads and cuffs you can accessorize your ponytail with. You can also use other things like pretty shells. This braided ponytail features just one shell at the front.
The use of the shell creates a stylish, creative and stunning hairstyle that will wow. You can use one shell like this or maybe add a few more. Either way, it will look gorgeous.
Braided Ponytails on Black Hair
You can make your braided ponytail unique by adding beads. Beads can be bought in any shape and color so the possible looks you can create are endless.
This ponytail features lots of wooden beads with the addition of a shell. Recreate a similar look or choose more vibrant beads.
Super Long Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have another long braided ponytail but this one shows another way you can style it. This one features a braid cord and uses thicker braids.
We love this ponytail! It will wow everyone and give them hair envy. You can use any color cord and create any pattern.
Braided Ponytails With Center Braids And Cuffs
Give your braids a unique look by creating an intricate design like featured. The hair has been braided into a center braid with braid cuffs and also has side braids that start thin and follow round the head into the ponytail. Recreate a similar look or choose different patterns and braid thicknesses.
Multi Braided Ponytails With A Trendy Design
Our next idea features another intricate design. This one uses very thick braids and very thin ones too. These braids follow a round shape until they blend into the ponytail.
The hair also has this patterned design on the back of the head too. This is such a trendy hairstyle and it will suit anyone.
Feed In Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have a chunky braided ponytail to share with you. We love this one because of the chic braid cuffs. The braid cuffs jazz up the ponytail and give it a super stylish look. Recreate this ponytail or use just thick braids instead of a mix.
Braided Ponytails With Funky Twist
Looking for a unique ponytail idea? Then this next pick is for you. The hair has been braided into twists with braid cuffs and it also has braids that are styled into a wavy design.
The braided twists create a circular pattern which is creative and statement making. Recreate the twists with wavy braids like featured or straight braids.
Thick Braided Ponytails With Stylish Thin Braids
Our next braided ponytail features a trendy mix of thin and thick braids. There are thin braids in-between the thick ones, and there is a stylish set of thin braids at the back of the hair. We love the thin braided section because it is very chic and unique.
Long Braided Hairstyle Into A Ponytail
If you love the long ponytails, then you may like our next hairstyle idea. This ponytail is super long and is styled with medium thickness braids.
OUR LATEST VIDEOS
There is also loose braids at the sides and the look is completed with cords and beads. One of our favorite features is the very thin center braid with the braid rings. This is the perfect ponytail for a stylish queen!
Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles With Color
Next, we have a thin and thick braid ponytail with subtle blonde running through it. This is a beautiful ponytail idea. Recreate the blonde look or maybe try the braids with different colors. Red would be a great choice, if you want to be bolder, consider blue or purple.
Long, Wrap Around Braided Ponytails
Last on our list is this long wrap around ponytail. For this style the hair has been braided with thin and thick braids and the thin ones start in the opposite direction.
The braids have also been wrapped around the start of the ponytail which gives it a trendy look. Recreate with or without the cords.
Glam Curly Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have a glam ponytail to show you! A section of the hair is sleek and swept back while the rest of the hair on the head features a stylish multi braid pattern.
The actual ponytail is high and the hair is loose and beautifully curly. Hair like this will wow and it will look amazing on anyone!
Vibrant Orange Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Thinking about trying a bolder and more statement making hairstyle? Then this could be just what you are looking for! Here we have a high braided ponytail with a trendy braided pattern and loose braids at the sides.
What really makes these braids stand out is the vibrant orange color. Orange is such a stylish color and it is perfect for the summer.
Be daring and try something new! Recreate this or you can try orange braids with another ponytail.
Long Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
This next idea features one of our favorite hairstyles! Here we have a stunning, long braided ponytail. The actual braids on the head are styled into a neat, sleek and chic pattern.
All of the braids meet into a low ponytail with a super long length. Long braids like these will make you stand out from the crowd in style! You can recreate this or you can try braids that are a little shorter too.
High Ponytail With Chunky Braids
Looking for a super stylish and easy to wear braided ponytail? Then take a look at this! This ponytail is styled very high and there is a trendy multi braid pattern on the head.
As you can see, this hairstyle looks gorgeous and it will make you look amazing for any occasion. A ponytail like this will suit everyone. It would also look beautiful in a color like red.
Trendy Fish Tail Braided Ponytails Hairstyles
Next, we have a ponytail that is perfect for the trendsetting ladies! The hair on the head features a pattern with different braid thicknesses and there is a high ponytail that is styled into a fishtail braid.
We love the long fishtail braid because it is so stylish. The look also features chic gold hair rings. A ponytail like this would be perfect for the times where you want your hair to impress.
Super Glam Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
The next idea that we have to show you is one of the most glamorous hairstyles ever! For this look, the hair at the front of the head is braided into a beautiful swirl and the rest has simple braids that are styled into a ponytail.
The hair is finished off with gorgeous, gold accessories. Gold accessories like these will jazz up your hair and instantly make your hair look more dazzling and glitzy.
Sleek And Stylish Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
You don’t have to go all out with the braids, you can choose a ponytail with a subtler braided pattern like this. All of the hair is sleek and it is styled into a stunning, long ponytail.
There is a section of the hair on the head that is styled into three braids to. As you can see, the braids look very stylish even though there is only a few of them. This is a trendy and easy to wear hairstyle that will suit everyone.
Goddess Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have a stylish and unique hair idea. For this look the actual ponytail is high and features a mixture of curls and braids.
The hair on the head is styled into braids and there is also a sleek criss-cross pattern too. We love the criss-cross because it is so trendy and different. Recreate this or you can try a shorter ponytail too.
Tribal Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
This next ponytail is cute, chic and accessorized. The hair has simple and stylish braided pattern and the braids are styled into a high ponytail.
This look is finished off with trendy gold hair cuffs. Hair like this is easy to wear. Recreate this or add more accessories for a bolder look.
Diamond Part Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Another way that you can jazz up your braids is by using different parts. One trendy look you could try are diamond parts. Here we have a gorgeous braided ponytail with diamond parts.
As you can see, the diamonds look so stylish and they really make a statement. You can recreate this hairstyle or you can have longer or shorter ponytails. Maybe even try a cool color like red.
Bold Red Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have a trendy ponytail that is a gorgeous color. The ponytail is mix of braids and curls and there is stylish braided pattern on the head too. What really makes this look stand out is the color of the hair.
The hair is a gorgeous dark red shade. Red is easy to wear, will suit everyone and it will make you stand out from the crowd too. Recreate this hairstyle or you can try red with a different ponytail.
Low, Curly Ponytail With Braids
Love the ponytails with curls? Then check out this next idea. For this look the hair is sleek with two beautiful braids that meet in the center of the head to create a low ponytail.
The ponytail is long and super curly. We love this hair idea because it combines three different styles including straight hair, curls and braids.
Trendy Black And Blonde Braids
Another way to create stylish braids is to add color. Here is a great example. The hair is braided into a gorgeous pattern with a long ponytail. Once the ponytail has started, the hair begins to turn blonde.
Blonde and black is such a trendy color combination and it will really jazz up your hair. Recreate the black and blonde look or try a different color combo.
Jumbo Braids High Ponytail
The next hairstyle we have to show you is so statement making and beautiful. Here we have a sky high ponytail with a gorgeous braided pattern.
The pattern features braids in different thicknesses and there are two loose braids at the sides of the head too.
This is a stunning braided look and it is perfect for those who want a hairstyle that stands out from the rest.
Feed In Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Prefer a more simple hairstyle? Then check this out! This hairstyle features a beautiful and chic braided pattern.
The actual ponytail is quite high and there is a braided wrap around the base of the ponytail too. Hair like this looks effortlessly stylish and it will look amazing for any occasion.
Super Long Braided Ponytails Black Hairstyles
Next, we have fierce and trendy hairstyle to show you. The hair on the head is braided into an amazing pattern and the ponytail is sleek and styled into a three strand braid.
We love this hairstyle because the braided ponytail is long and the braid style looks amazing. With hair like this, you will look like a trendsetting Queen every day!
Front Braid And high ponytail
It is no surprise that when a braid and ponytail are made together, it gives the best look. For those who like their braids in the front and also want to add sheer volume in this braided ponytail for black hair, this one is for you! It is one of the simplest hairstyles to make and is most desirable for everyday routine